Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Kindergarten

This morning, my firstborn headed off to her very first day of school.  All day yesterday she and her friend would take turns screaming excitedly, "Tomorrow is our first day of school!"  Clara's been ready for this day for months now.

After she ate breakfast, she wanted to know if she could play.  I told her she could after she got ready for school.  Her eyes lit up and she exclaimed, "I forgot today was the first day!"  What a silly girl. 
As we were getting her ready, she informed me she changed her mind and didn't want to take the school bus and wanted me to drop her off instead.  I knew this meant that she was scared, so I told her that we would walk to the bus stop first and if she didn't want to get on, she could get a ride with me.  Of course once we got there and she saw all the other kids getting on, she had no fears what so ever.

Here she is holding hands with her best friend as they boarded the bus together.
After the bus left, I decided to run some errands.  Since I was out and about anyway, I decided to drive by the school and made sure she made it to the kindergarten playground safely.  I found her still holding her best friend's hand as they waited to enter their classrooms.  Clara was looking so excited and had an enormous smile on her face.  I cried as I pulled away.   I'm not sure why.  I've been just as excited for this day as she has been.  It's probably because I'm more sentimental than I like to admit.

After school, she excitedly told me that school was so much fun.  She didn't stop talking about it for 20 minutes.  Apparently she thinks recess was too long.  I'm sure that will change soon.  She also told me that she almost cried a little today.  When I asked her why, she just said, "My body just wanted to cry."  She also told me all about what happens when you are bad, and promptly informed me that she never did anything bad all day.  Whew!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Congratulations on Clara's first day! She looks so cute and ready!