Monday, August 10, 2015

Beck Reunion

Jeremy and I were in charge of his family reunion this year.  We had been to Rockport State park before and were really looking forward to camping there this year.  However, the weather decided to not cooperate with that plan.  So we camped the first night at Rockport.
Since we knew the rain was coming, we decided to play in the water Thursday night instead of on Friday.
We then ate a very late dinner, played games, and just enjoyed being gathered in one spot.
The rain wasn't supposed to come until 10ish on Friday morning, but I woke up at 6:30 to the sound of rain drops.  We hurried and got our tent put away and then Jeremy helped everyone else with their tents as I stayed dry under the pavilion.  It was supposed to rain off and on all day long and have lightning and thundershowers as well.  We decided not only would it not be safe to be out in a thunderstorm, but it would also be wet and cold for our little kids (and me!)  So we left after breakfast and met up at our house for lunch.  On our way out of the campground, we saw some deer right by the side of the road.  We had been seeing deer on and off as we camped, but the kids loved seeing them up close!
We spend the entire rest of Friday at our house.  I was grateful that everyone was so willing to change plans around to accommodate the weather.  We had crafts, played games, and even enjoyed being outside when the rain let up a little.
We ended Friday night with a talent show.  I used to dread these until I realized that some kids actually do like performing in front of people.  I loved seeing all the variety of talents our family has.  We had singing, dancing, story reading, art, piano playing, and even some scooter skills!

Saturday we met for breakfast and Dave and Melissa's and then headed to a nearby park for some outdoor fun.  We played 500, frisbee, flied a kite, blew some bubbles, played on playground equipment and then enjoyed the splash pad when it got hot.
Now I get to spend today cleaning up from our wonderful weekend!  Here is Joe just chilling in our grass as Jeremy and I set up our tent to let it dry out. I had found him a few times like this at the park.  When I asked him what he was doing he said, "I'm just resting."

No comments: