Monday, February 22, 2010

Another Week Gone By

There were quite a few days this week that I didn't want to get out of bed. It seems as though life just keeps getting harder for us these days. Just when I think things can't get worse, they do. Jeremy was laid off on Tuesday this last week. At the time, I really didn't know what we were going to do. And to be honest, I still don't really know. On Wednesday he went to apply for unemployment. When he told me the amount we qualify for (if we are approved,) I started doing some figuring. The unemployment will take care of rent and our electric bill. We still have to worry about food, phone, internet, gas, etc. Our tax return isn't looking quite so big anymore. Especially if he won't be able to find another job for a few months. If I knew it would only be a month or two, I could relax and plan accordingly. But it's the unknown that really has me down. So if any one knows of any graphic design jobs that are available, please let us know!

We did get our computer back on Wednesday this last week. We were able to enjoy 3 days of a working computer before the hard drive crashed on us AGAIN! So we are now going to buy a new computer. Once again, we know people with connections, so we will be able to get a new computer for a good deal. My problem is that I feel so guilty spending money on a new computer when I know that will make our tax return money run out sooner rather than later. But we can't survive without a computer. The internet is the only way to apply for jobs these days. Sure we could use the internet at our local library which is just a few blocks away. But that means we can't reply quickly to emails concerning job interviews and things. Also, since Jeremy is a graphic designer a few job will send him mock projects for him to do as part of the interviewing process. Without his Adobe Creative Suite, he won't be able to do any of those.....
So we have our new computer ordered, taking a deep breath, and moving forward with the faith to know we'll be taken care of. We are already seeing so many blessings coming our way. For example, Jeremy's brother, Michael, offered to loan us one of his laptops while we wait for a new computer. Considering our track record with ruining hard drives, that was a HUGE blessing for us. Even the computer we were borrowing from Jeremy's cousin left our house with hard drive issues. But at least we have internet and a borrowed computer that will meet our needs until we get ours. Thanks again Michael, we really appreciate it.

We have had good things happen to us this week. I've had to focus on those a lot these last few days. Jeremy gets to play with us a lot more now that he's spending more time at home. I've loved having his help around the house.
We do qualify for unemployment, which is a lot better than not having an income at all. Jeremy had a few interviews this week, which is a good sign. Also, as soon as friends and family have found out about our situation, they have been sending us a lot of job leads, which is great.

It spread around the ward on Sunday that Jeremy had lost his job. When a neighbor learned of this, she immediately offered to bring us some food. She ended up bringing boxes and bags of food. She filled the trunk of her car and brought it over. I couldn't believe how generous she was, especially since I know they struggle themselves. Her generosity inspires me to be better.

When I went in to get a crown put on my tooth, the dentist decided to let me wait for the tooth to break. He thinks that if it does break, it won't be as bad as what he thought at first. So we were able to save a few hundred dollars there this week.

I've been seeing an increase in the amount of people who need a math tutor. So I've been working more hours than I have in a long time. I work about 2 hours a day instead of 2 hours a week. I've also been able to get some baby sitting in as well.

I have a friend who does testing for a company who makes tests. She gives the test to people and gives the results to the company so that they can make better tests. We get paid to take these tests, and it just so happened that she had tests for both Jeremy and Clara to take this week. So that even brought us some extra money.

And of course our biggest blessing is our little Clara. She is always so happy and so oblivious to our situation. She has caught me crying a few times this week. When she does, she'll climb up on my lap and in a very concerned voice ask, "Happened?" When I tell her that Mommy is just sad, she says, "Mommy happy!" She will then grab my cheeks and pull so that my mouth is forced to smile. That does make me laugh and hence smile. She really is such a joy and I'm so glad we have her in our home.

10 comments:

Aaron and Megan said...

Our prayers will be sent your way. Thank goodness for the knowledge that we have that if we do our part the Lord will take care of us. As hard as it is just keep focusing on the positive. Good Luck to you guys!

Mandy said...

oh sarah i'm so sorry. You always amaze me with your positive attitude. Things will work out. You guys are amazing people and such hard workers, the Lord will take care of you. Hang in there! We'll keep our eyes open.

Traci said...

I'm sorry to hear that things are hard right now. You two are so amazing, I know things are going to work out. It's just hard not knowing how they will work out. You are in our prayers! Love you!

Danielle said...

I would hate the not knowing too. I can plan around anything, but I have to know what that anything is. Maybe there are graphic design jobs in North Carolina :)

Mama's Makin's said...

So sorry to hear. That is super rough. My dad has been unemployed for several years now. But when you pay your tithing an do your best things always work out! What a blessing it is that you can tutor math! There aren't a lot of other teachers (other than math) that can really do that! So you choose a perfect field! :)

Yeah, Obama did this thing with the taxes so you were getting "a little less" taken out of your paycheck each month to "help you out" but many of my friends have ended up owing money. I think tax time is going to be hard for a lot of people. So any tax return is wonderful! :) Clara is perfect for you!

Aubrey said...

Aaron and I just love you guys. There have been many times this week when I've wanted to drive over to your house simply to hug you! Know that so many prayers are being sent up to Heaven on your behalf. You have so many friends who are willing to help you in whatever way you need. We love you Sarah and we will keep our eyes and ears open for job leads.

Allison said...

I'm so sorry! I hope things start looking up soon! My brother-in-law is a graphic designer in SLC. I wonder if they have any openings in his firm...I'll ask and let you know if there's anything. Or maybe there's something up here in Oregon :)

Allison said...

So I checked with my bro-in-law and he said to have Jeremy contact him. I sent you an email on the address I found on Facebook. If that's not your current address (it was a gmail one) then let me know and I'll try again. Good luck!

Michelle said...

Sarah, I always love reading your posts. Your optimism and faith and gratitude inspire me. Clara was born close to the time that our Benjamin died, and so I have been watching her grow through your posts, and it often makes me think about what he would be doing if he were still here. I love seeing how much you enjoy her and appreciate her.
You definitely have your priorities straight. I'll be praying for this difficult season financially to pass soon for you guys!
Love,
Michelle

Jerrile said...

All I can say is I love you sweetheart and your Dad loves you too. We wish we could take this pain away from you. You have a great husband and family and learn to enjoy this time with them. Your Dad was out of work for the whole time I was pregnant with kathryn and then he went to work for Mitchells. That ended the extra time we had with him as you know. So just enjoy. I know this is coming from the person who gave you the personality to stress about unknown things, but enjoy them just the same. :-)