Monday, November 15, 2010

Fire Safety and a New Job

Jeremy started a new job today. He was offered a position working for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints. He interviewed for a different position with the church about 6 or 7 months ago, but didn't get that job. However, they kept his resume on file and when this job opening came up, they offered the job without him ever having to go in for an interview. We are very excited about this opportunity. It's a full time position, but it will only last for 6 months. So we'll probably be looking for a job again in 6 months, but we think these next 6 months will be great for our little family. This is a graphic design job, so any connections we can make will help us for when we need to job search again. This position will also look great on a resume, which is a great bonus as well. So wish Jeremy luck!

Clara's preschool class visited a fire station this week. (Sorry that most of the pictures are blurry - it's hard to take pictures of constantly moving kids.) The kids started their tour by watching a fire safety video. Clara thought that was so cool - getting to watch TV on a wall (the video was projected onto a wall from a computer.) They then got to go look at all the different kinds of vehicles at the fire station. They talked about the ambulance, red fire truck, and yellow fire truck and what each is used for. Clara kept running from one thing to the next. I was also very impressed with our "tour guide." This fireman was so great at talking on both the kids' level to keep their attention and to all the adults. It was a great little field trip. After seeing all the trucks, they all got to practice their fire safety. The fireman had all the kids doing stop, drop, and roll with him as well as crawling beneath the smoke to the door, and all the other fire safety things little kids should know. At the end, all the kids got their own fireman's hats. Clara thinks hers is too big and tries to get Mom and Dad to wear it all the time, but refuses to wear it herself. Clara LOVES puzzles. She always has. I think it's because she sees Grandma and Mom doing puzzles together quite a bit. That is also what they do as a gathering activity in her class at church. So when Clara got some birthday money in the mail a few weeks ago, we took her to the dollar store to spend it. We weren't too surprised when she picked out a puzzle. At first she tried to get a 100 piece puzzle, but I was able to talk her into a 24 piece one instead. It only took her a few times and she can now put that puzzle together all by herself. I was shocked. I really thought it would take her longer. But when I was helping her the first few times, I would talk about matching colors and things. She now even teases me by showing me two non matching pieces and asking, "Do these pieces match?" Clara asked me if she could wear my pink coat. Her pink coat is now too small for her, and she has been sad about that since the weather began to turn cold. So when she really wants to wear a pink coat, she'll ask for mine. I love how silly she gets when she wears Mommy's really big coat.One day, I was doing some cleaning while Clara was happily entertaining herself. I overheard her say, "Oh, I don't fit," in a very disappointed voice. So I decided to try and help her. When I walked into the room, this is how I found her:How did she ever think (or even want to) try to fit under the couch?

3 comments:

Genevieve Beck said...

That is great news! It will be nice to have a friendly environment. We're excited to hear all about it.

Carrrie said...

Very good news! What a great opportunity for Jeremy! I wish you all the best. :D

Mama's Makin's said...

glad to hear it!