Monday, September 27, 2010

General Relief Society Broadcast

I was able to attend the General Relief Society Broadcast on Saturday of this week. This is an annual meeting for the women of our church. We have the opportunity to listen to the leaders of our church give us guidance and direction in our lives. I always leave that meeting feeling a sense of love and commitment to be a better person. This last Saturday was no different. I had the amazing privilege of being able to attend this event in person rather than listening to the broadcast like most women do.

I was able to sit in the same room as the Prophet of God. A peaceful feeling came over me as I watched him walk into the room. He has an aura of light about him so that I couldn't help but know he is a prophet of God. I was able to watch him during the entire broadcast. I know he guides us and directs us as he councils with our Father in Heaven. President Monson talked about loving souls for who they are and not what their outward appearances seem to be. He told a story about a couple who had just moved to a new house. One day, the wife looked out the window to see her neighbor putting the laundry out to dry. The wife commented about how dirty the neighbor's laundry was and how her neighbor must not know how to get clothes clean. This went on for a few weeks and her husband patiently listened to his wife. One day, the wife looked out her window and noticed that her neighbor's laundry was actually clean. When she commented to her husband, "I wonder how she did it." Her husband's reply was: "I got up early and cleaned our windows."

President Monson then asked how many of us make judgments when it's our windows that are dirty. I loved his reminder about what charity truly is. If you would like to watch his entire talk, visit this link

No comments: