Monday, February 21, 2011

New Dress

I've been in a funk lately. I'm not really sure what's wrong - other than I have no desire to leave my house. I just want to sit around and do nothing all day long. I haven't even done my tax returns yet and usually I have them done by Feb 1st.

Anyway, to try to help me get out of my funk, I decided to do a project. Hancock Fabrics is having a sale on their special occasion fabrics. So Clara and I walked there and she got to pick out some material for her dress. She wanted it sparkly. I figured she would pick pink, which she says is her favorite color, but she found this purple instead. I decided to get some black velvet for the bodice. Clara got to carry the sparkly purple material around the store as I looked for the velvet, thread, zipper, etc. When we finally got to the counter to get the material cut, Clara happily placed it on the counter, thinking we would pay for it. I told the woman how much fabric I needed and she started to cut the sparkly material first. Clara started crying and said, "You're not supposed to cut it, that's my dress." The woman and I started laughing and after I explained to Clara what was really going on, Clara was instantaneously happy again. Clara has been so excited about this dress. She watched me the entire time I was working on it. It was cute to have such a great little helper. So here is the final project.I think it turned out well. I let Clara try it on to make sure it fit. She was so excited she kept dancing around and around. Just look at that face. I think she likes it!She then insisted that Daddy be a prince and dance with her. I love it when Jeremy indulges Clara and dances with her.Clara loves to have picnics. She spreads out her blanket so carefully and then we all have to eat the food she fixes for us.Clara loves the camera. Anytime she notices me take a picture, she insists on seeing it on the camera. She loves to have me take picture of the two of us. I can't tell you how many of these pictures I have.She also has wanted to take pictures of me by herself. Most of the pictures come out like this:or this:but every once in a while we get a picture like this:
  • Clara woke up this morning and wanted to wear her new sparkly dress. I told her that it was just for Sundays. She had a funny look on her face and insisted that it was Sunday. I explained to her that today is Monday. Sunday is the day we go to church, and since we just went to church yesterday, it was going to be a long time before it was Sunday. She said, "But the sun is here today so it's Sunday today."

6 comments:

Danielle said...

You look great, Sarah! I also admire your sewing talent. I do sew too, but you are not allowed to see my projects because you will detect right away that I am a lazy seamstress.

Carrrie said...

That dress is beautiful! Clara has good taste! And she is an excellent photographer, she captured a beautiful picture of you. :D Your sewing projects always leave me in awe. ;)

Allison said...

Wow! That dress is beautiful! So far I have only dared to make Halloween costumes, because if I screw those up it doesn't really matter. You are talented!

Tasha said...

The dress is so beautiful! I would have been in love with it too if I was Clara. Sarah your family is so beautiful. It makes me happy to see your blog. I love it!

Kristi said...

That dress is BEAUTIFUL!! You have such a talent. It looks like one you just picked up from a store! I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little envious of that talent!

theRach said...

Oh, she is so cute. And good work, by the way. Maybe I'll get to see that beautiful dress at church on Sunday?