Thursday, October 13, 2011

Fire Station Open House

I'm posting early this week.  We get to close on our house today, something I didn't think would happen this week.  So that means we get to move this Sat.  I know I won't post on Mon because we won't have internet at our new house yet...  So I wanted to keep my loyal readers informed of our happenings before I leave the internet behind for a few days.

A fire station located near our apartment was having an open house yesterday.  So I went with my neighbor and I think I had more fun than Clara did.  They let the kids run a water hose.
They passed out a fireman's badge and hat.
Then they had all these demonstrations, most of which taught about fire safety.  They showed us how to use a fire extinguish as well as how to tell if it's still good or not.  They showed us what putting water on a grease fire does.

Some of the demonstrations were just cool.  Like when they showed us how they use a fire hose.
Or when they showed us how they would use the jaws of life to extract some one from a car.  (I also learned that the 'jaws of life' is a name brand that is used in place of the actual name of a product.  Kinda like Kleenex.)
They also had different stations where the kids could practice fire safety.  They had a trailer full of water vapor, but told the kids it was smoke.  They talked about how you crawl to an open door when there is smoke in your house.
Here are the girls after they found their way out of the smoke trailer.  Clara was scared at first, but Emry showed her just what to do.
Also this week, we stopped by our friends who were in the middle of trying on Halloween Costumes.  Clara was ecstatic when she got to be a dragon.

1 comment:

The Monroes said...

Hey Lady! Will you send me your email address? I am at danielle.monroe@gmail.com. My blog is private now, but I want to send you an invite!