Monday, December 5, 2011

Ward Christmas Party

We had 2 ward Christmas parties this year.  We held an adult only one Friday night and then the family one was Saturday morning.  Both had meals served, and I "got" to be on the committee that helped put it all together.  The adult dinner was very formal.  We were served dinner on real plates.  We had a program that inspired us to have the true meaning of Christmas this year and always.

Then came the clean up...  We washed dishes for 2 hours after the even was over.  At least we were washing with good friends and had a blast visiting with each other as we had 2 washers, a rinser, 2 driers, and 1 person putting the clean dishes away/bringing the dirty dishes to the washers.  Although I brought my camera, I forgot to take any pictures.  It's a shame too because the tables were beautifully decorated in white and silver.  We had matching nativities, candles, stars, book-type things that told the story of Christ's birth from Luke 2, jars with cherries at the bottom, and Christmas lights strung all around.  It really was beautiful.

Then came the family Christmas party.  It started at 8 am, which was early considering we didn't get done washing dishes until close to 10pm the night before and then we had to go pick Clara up from the babysitters before we could go home and get ready for bed.

We were served pancakes, muffins, little smokies, and milk.  Luckily all on paper goods so that the clean up was much faster than the night before.

They also had a game where the kids got gifts.  Santa then read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas and every time Santa said the word 'the,' the kids passed their presents.  When the story was over, which ever present the kid had in their hand, they got to keep.  Clara got a yo yo and was very excited about it.
And the kids got to sit on Santa's lap!  Clara was so excited to do it this year.  She kept telling people that when she was a baby, she cried when she sat on Santa's lap, but that this year she was going to not cry and be a big kid.  She did just that too.  She went right up when it was her turn, climbed on, and answered all of Santa's questions!
  • Clara's response after I asked her how she got so smart: "I just ate a lot of food."
  • I often catch Clara reading her scriptures.  I love it!
  • Clara had gotten Chocolate all over her face and she wasn't letting me take a picture of her.  (Look  how mad she is in the first pic.)  But then for some reason she changed her mind and gave me the best smile ever!
  • Clara was watching me get ready one morning and was asking me lots of questions, like if my contacts hurt.  So when she asked, "Did you go potty in 16 years?"  I assumed she was talking to me.  Wasn't sure what she meant, but answered her yes.  She then got mad at me, "No, it's a story about baby Jesus!"
Side note:  My picture blog is almost done for the year.  I only committed to doing a year, but I'm toying with the idea of continuing.  But I want to know what my readers think?  Is it fun for you to read, or is it merely a self-indulging blog?

1 comment:

Genevieve Beck said...

I enjoy your picture blog. If it's still fun for you, go for it.
That sounds like quite the activity. A ton of work, but I bet it was richly appreciated!