Tuesday, November 10, 2009

StarFall

Clara loves the website starfall.com. That is where she learned her ABC's. We now do a lot more than just look at the letters. Tonight we found this: http://www.starfall.com/n/puzzle-shapes/baby/load.htm?f. When we did it, I had to laugh at Clara's reactions.

I will try to explain Clara's reactions so that you don't have to follow the link if you don't want to.

So as we were watching this page, Clara said, "Baby clean." The baby's face never gets cleaned, so she got mad when it was over and the baby wasn't clean. Clara still loved it, so we watched it again (she requested that we did.) The next time we watched it, she got mad that the baby isn't using a fork. She said, "Mom baby fork hiding? Find it." She got mad at me for not finding the baby's fork! (And yes, she still mentioned that the baby needed to be cleaned.)

The third time we watched it, Clara could predict what was coming. Notice that it says, "The baby wants to eat." When I asked her what was next she said, "Baby tummy hungry."

I'm amazed that Clara can use alternative words already. This isn't the first time she has done that. She tells me something and if I don't understand she is smart enough to tell me using different words. For example, we were visiting a relative's house. So I was talking to the mom and Clara had been playing with the other kids in a different room. Clara left them to come and talk to me for a few minutes. As she was leaving me she said, "Play kids, Mom." I didn't understand the word 'kids.' I always repeat back to her what she says, so when I said it incorrectly, Clara thought for a few seconds then said, "Play friends Mom." I understood that one and was so proud of her to recognize how to use different words to mean the same thing.

2 comments:

Mama's Makin's said...

That is pretty high level of thinking! Most have got some of your math brain in there! :)

Angie Miller said...

Did you know that ever since you visited and showed us that website that my kids are both addicted?

I blame you. :-) It's been so fun!