Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11

I can't believe it's been 10 years since the twin towers fell.  I still get teary eyed as I think about all the men and women who died that day.  Civilians who couldn't defend themselves.  And I can't help but cry as I hear the messages left on answering machines from the people on flight 93 who called to let their loved ones know they took a stand against terrorism and died saving stranger's lives. 

There is a song that I love whose chorus asks, "Where were you when the world stopped turning on that September day?"

I was on my way to work.  I was listening to the radio when a caller asked the dj if he knew anything about the plane that just hit the world trade center in NY.  They immediately cut to a song so they could check it out.  I remember thinking what a terrible tragedy that a plane "accidentally" ran into a building.  I was at work before they ran any kind of a story.  So I didn't find out until 2 hours later when my 2nd class of the day came in and informed me that a 2nd plane had hit, that a third plane had crashed into the pentagon, and a 4th plane had crashed in PA.  I dropped all lesson plans that day and just visited with my students.  I was amazed that these high school students took such care in the news of the world.  I don't think I cared about worldly events like that when I was in high school. 

The next period was my prep period, so I ran home and grabbed my radio.  I brought it back to school and for the rest of they day, I just had my classes listen to the news and we talked about their thoughts and feelings.  Some were so scared that a plane was going to come to UT and kill them.  Some talked of getting even.  Some of those did join the military and have joined in the war on terrorism.  It was the first and only time I put math lessons aside to be taught a different day.  I still feel the feelings I felt that day.  I remember feeling guilty that I felt relieved to live in Utah.  I remember wishing I could help in some way - I donated blood.

So where were you when the world stopped turning?  I would love to hear your story!

4 comments:

Jerrile said...

I was just getting back from getting your siblings on the school bus and couldn't believe what I was seeing. I thought of the Gadianton robbers and Moroni and his title of liberty. I thought of my Dad and his sacrifice in his early life and how our mainland had been hit. How the people impacted were civilians and how cowardly that was of our enemy. I thought of my love for my nation and wondered what I could do to help those who had lost a loved one. I thought of the promise in the Book of Mormon that no harm would come to this promised land as long as the people were righteous. I wondered how I could encourage those around me and myself to take a closer to look to see how we could remember our Lord.

I thought a lot about it when your Dad died and how they must need him in Heaven to help those who had died.

Today I spent a lot of time crying and thinking of the loved ones who still have to live with this tragedy everyday of their lives.

Jerrile said...

I am so very grateful to a Dad who instilled in me patriotism and love of country and a love of God.

Mama's Makin's said...

Dustin came over to the apartment to pick me up for school and asked if I had seen the news. We watched and I was shocked a plane could be that bad of a driver. I don't remember if we saw the second hit before we left for class. Many professors had a moment of silence. Some were tearful. I was more in shock - and very un aware that is was a terrorist act.

My thoughts go to those people who gave their lives to help others - those on the 4th plane and the others that helped people escape or be rescued.

There is a man that moved into my ward recently who lived in Africa. He had to escape because he was a wanted man for trying to fight the gorilla warfare there. He left his wife and kids for 5 years to come here. Recently they have joined him. However, on July 4th his children were frightened by the fireworks and noise - afraid that they were being attacked as they had been in their country in Africa.

I forget that everyone isn't free as we are. My grandfather served in WWII he said that he would go to war ANYDAY to KEEP what he saw off the doorsteps of his children. I am grateful that my children have never had to face that fear. Thankful to live in this free land no matter how messed up the political part is.

Carrrie said...

Randy and I had been married for 9 months and were living in our small apartment. I was getting ready for work and Randy was still sleeping. He had a Career Fair to go to that day at school and didn't have to be there until 10. I turned on the news as I did every morning and saw footage of Tower 1 after the first plane had hit. I was thinking the same as you and thought how sad that a plane accidentally ran into the Tower. I went back to the bathroom and returned just in time to see the live footage of the second plane hitting and the announcers in shock confirming my own thoughts that this was no accident. I ran to the bedroom to wake Randy and tell him what was going on. He was bleary eyed and didn't comprehend what I was telling him. He went back to sleep and I left for work. Later that morning he called me and said he coudln't beleive what I was telling him was true. I think his career fair was even postponed that day. While at work, I discovered that one of my co-workers at the time was living through a very terrible day. Her father worked in the Pentagon and it was confirmed that he died. She got a flight to Virginia as soon as she could. I had another co-worker whose fiance was stationed in upstate new york, a helicopter pilot for the army. She was a wreck all day wondering if he would be okay. We had TV's tuned in all day as well as radio's. Many were worried that Denver too could be a target and we were close to both the Federal buildings and the trade center in Denver. I ended up going home early and waited for Randy to arrive home so we could be together safely. We also thought of the Gadianton Robbers that day and the thousands of people who were killed that day unaware that there was a terrible threat so near. Thank you for sharing your thoughts of that day as well. It is something we should always remember and never forget. I am so grateful for our freedom and those who fight to keep us safe!