Tuesday, October 27, 2009

English....

So Clara has picked up the phrase, "not working." If her colored pencil breaks, she says, "working, fix it." She always leaves the "not" off anytime she wants to say "not working." So now that Jeremy has been home a lot less, she asks me frequently throughout the day, "Daddy home?" I've started to tell her that "Daddy is working." She finally put two and two together. So today when she asked, "Daddy home?" I said "Daddy's working." She then said, "Daddy fix it?"

That really got me thinking about how confusing it must be to learn to speak English. There are a lot of words that mean totally different things even though it's the same word. Just as another example, Clara has been learning to take turns. She'll even say, "Mommy's turn," "Clara's turn," "Addi's turn," etc. She is so good about taking turns I love it. But today at the grocery store, she was helping me push the cart. I said, "We need to turn this way." Clara got a confused look on her face as she thought about that one. Poor little Clara.....

2 comments:

Danielle said...

It is so true. Then when they are learning to read - "eight, ate," etc.

Mama's Makin's said...

We should just all learn to speak MAth. then it would all make perfect sense. :)