Monday, October 5, 2009

Happy Birthday Clara

Clara turned 2 yesterday. I can't believe how fast time flies. She is now old enough to understand what presents are and loved saying the word. She also now knows what a birthday is and loves to say that word over and over again. She loves getting to blow out candles, and keeps saying "again." Clara's favorite character is currently Nemo. So I thought, how hard can making a Nemo cake be? Turns out, that with all the many skills that I posses, cake decorating is NOT one of them. I'm sure that with more practice, I will improve. It all started with the cake not coming out of the pan like I had hoped. It came out in pieces, mostly due to my inexperience. But I thought, that's nothing a little frosting can't fix. However, after a huge container of frosting, I could tell there was no way I could actually serve this cake to anyone. So instead of having cake at her big family party, we had cake with just her, Jeremy, and I. It tasted great. I learned that the cupcake cake idea that I did for her first birthday is about as creative as I can be with a cake. I also relearned that Clara really doesn't like cake. She ate all the frosting off her cake and then left the cake to be thrown away. So the good news is that I don't have to waste making cakes with Clara. She can always have ice cream for her birthday dessert. (Which is what I ended up doing for the big family party we had.) Clara also loves books. I didn't realize so many people knew it until her birthday rolled around. Almost everyone gave her a book, and Clara loves them all. So to end this special birthday post, I will include some of my favorite pictures of Clara we took in the last 2 years. And since I know all of you are curious as to how my cake actually looked, I will put a picture of it here. Just so you know, Clara thought it was a pizza. When Jeremy saw the cake he asked, "What is so wrong with it?" What a good husband I have.

9 comments:

Lori Ann said...

She keeps getting cuter! I can't believe your baby is two! I thought that cake was cute, and I am glad you took a picture! When it comes to cakes, its the thought that counts:) p.s.- How have the first few days of the 'terrible twos' been going?

Mama's Makin's said...

I think your cake it good too. (For your future attempts because I am sure she will grow to eventually love cake - if you grease and flour the pan it works best. and it is best if you don't use the spray - but do it the old fashion way and use crisco or butter.) And let it cool for a few min - but not too long either :)

But I think it looked great. Tell me - did you use a shaped pan, or shape it all your self? Fun times!

Carrrie said...

You are so cute Sarah! And Clara is adorable, I love her pigtails now! I can actually tell that it is Nemo, so I totally agree with Jeremy! :) Next time try to butter and flour the bottom and sides of the pan. Although...maybe you need to try an ice cream cake next time? :)

Kent said...

Happy Birthday Clara!

Danielle said...

Loooooove the cake!!! Seriously. Good to see you have a defect somewhere. Too bad it has to be an endearing one.

Jerrile said...

It isn't Monday yet? I just wait for another week and this last week you have outdone yourself. I go and look again and realize that it isn't Monday. :) Great pics of our little girl. I just look at them again and again. Love you guys.

Angie Miller said...

Happy birthday to one of our best friends! We love ya!

Chapples said...

Ahhh! Happy Birthday Clara! Cute pictures!!! Yummy cake.

Emily Beck said...

I think your cake looked great! What a fun memory you now have. Clara is one cute girl. I love watching all the changes in her. She is growing so fast!